Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Picture of the Month (And my first Lightning shots)

IMG_2116-Edit-1

I know I have said that the Picture of the Month would be on the 15th of the month but I‘ve found that especially now with school, I don’t have as much time to get out with my camera. So, there is no set date for the Picture of the Month, it’s just when I get a shot that is worthy of the title that month.

Now on to the picture. Last night, we had a pretty good thunderhead roll in. Of course, in Arizona they usually don’t produce any rain, and this one didn’t either. Since it approached near sunset and the lightning was just aweing, I decided to grab my camera as night fell to see if I could get any lightning shots. I will admit this is the first time in my life that I have shot lightning, and the pictures didn’t turn out that bad.

My dad was there to guide me through the whole thing, which helped me more than you think. I knew the basic stuff like having to set the camera in bulb mode, set it on a tripod, and use a cable release. Since he was there, the photos were that much better. If you notice in the picture below, there is a couple water drops in the photo that appear to be on the lens. Yes these drops of water are real but not intentional. It was starting to sprinkle while I was taking these shots. I like the effect that it gives the pictures though.

IMG_2116-1

My real work of art is the picture at the top of this article. This one is actually two photos put together, making it look even better. You may call it cheating, but I call it my style.

All of the these pictures are in full resolution and can be downloaded by clicking on them and then saving them.

~Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment